Fix for “You Need Permission to Perform this Action” Windows 10 – The message “You need permission to perform this action” on your computer screen is really irksome situation. And why it will be not? Losing control over your own laptop can be frustrating for any of us. Such as issue makes your usage of laptop a nightmare, as you can’t use your files, apps, folders or sometimes, copy and paste. Well, before going towards the solution you should try this quick fixes.
Fix for “You Need Permission to Perform this Action” Windows 10
Navigate to the Start button> Programs> Accessories, right-click on the Command Prompt and then click Run as Administrator. Type “net user administrator /active:yes” and then hit Enter key. Now, restart your PC and perform that task again which results into that permission error.
Let’s move to other solutions that will help you to overcome this dilemma.
Solution 1: Disable your third-party Antivirus
The third-party antivirus software sometimes causes such sort of issue with your computer system. Therefore, you have to temporarily disable it. If this technique resolves your problem, install another good antivirus like Norton.
Solution 2: Scan your PC for Malware
If the above method fails to resolve your issue, It’s time to check the system for any sort of virus or malware. Scan your Windows 10 computer with Windows Defender. To do this, you need to follow the given steps:
- Click Start> Settings> Update and Security Section.
- Navigate to Windows Defender and then open it.
- Hit on ‘Run a full scan of your system’.
Fix the possible errors that Windows Defender shows you on the screen. Install a good Anti-Malware software to detect and remove all such threats.
Solution 3: Reboot the computer in PC mode.
Rebooting an Operating System resolved many minor errors so let’s try this technique to overcome permission related issue.
- Navigate to Windows Start icon and click over it.
- Now, go to Power option and click on reboot while holding Shift key.
- Select Troubleshoot option and then click Advanced option.
- Move the pointer of the mouse on Startup Settings> Restart.
- The system will take some time to reboot. Once this is done, press F4 key.
- Now, check if your system work correctly.
If you still see “You need permission to perform this action” message while performing your activity on the computer then move ahead for checking your security permissions. Your security permissions might need some alteration.
Solution 4: Check your security permissions
- Navigate to that file/folder which is creating a mess. Make a right click on it and hit on Properties.
- Switch to Security tab and locate the account name which permissions you are required to check followed by the click on Edit button.
- Hit on the account in question and then move to the Permissions section.
- Now, in the Allow column, check Full control and select Apply button.
- Hit OK to apply the changes. Check if the problem has gone now.
Are you still facing the same error? If yes, then try changing the ownership for the file/folder that is creating permission issue.
- Make a right-click on the file that is demanding for the permission.
- Click Properties> Security tab> Advanced button.
- Move to Owner section and select Change to see Select User/Group Window on the screen.
- Now, enter the Administrator or user name in the “Enter the object name” filed and then click on the Checks names button followed by hitting on OK.
- Select Replace owner on subcontainers and objects and click Apply> OK.
Well, there are other simple techniques also that can help you resolve this issue. If the above methods doesn’t help you to crop out this muddle, then you can also try reinstalling the affected applications.