Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation fix – You are trying to open ‘sfc /scannow’ command and you see an error says “Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation” in a popup window. What are you going to do now?
Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation fix
System File Checker(SFC) is used to scan and restore corrupted Windows system files. Now, if this stops to work how will you identify the corrupted files? Don’t fret my friends. We have a very easy solution to fix this issue.
Fix 1: Launch SFB in Safe Mode
- Open Run dialog box by pressing Win + R button on the keyboard.
- Type “msconfig” in the empty box and click on OK or press Enter key.
- Select Safe booth in Boot tab followed by OK button.
- On the next screen, click on Restart and wait for some seconds.
- Your PC will boot into safe mode now. Run sfc /scannow command to check if it works.
Fix 2: Alter the Security Descriptors
If you still see the same message on the pop-up window then let’s give a try to folder’s security descriptors.
- Open command prompt window and type ICACLS C:\Windows\winsxs and press Enter key.
- Wait for the changes to appear. Close the Command Prompt window and Restart your PC.
- Now, run SFC command and see if the issue is gone.
Fix 3: Launch CHKDSK
If there is a problem with your hard drive then SFC would for sure. If you run CHKDSK itwill check the integrity of your hard disk and will solve some system errors.
- Type ‘cmd’ in the search box shown on the Windows 10 desktop screen.
- Make a right-click on Command Prompt to select Run as administrator.
- Now, hit on Yes option when User Account Control asks you to make the following changes on the device.
- Now, type chkdsk /r in the Command Prompt window
- Hit Enter key and then Y when asks for system restart.
- Exit the screen and Restart your computer.
- The PC will check for the error automatically.
- Run the command to see if it works now.
Fix 4: Reinstall the System
If you have tried all the methods and nothing has worked then you can try reinstall the system. It will quickly fix the issue but, before doing that you have to create a backup of your data.
- Visit Microsoft website and hit and Download tool button.
- Mark the box that says Accept the license agreement.
- Hit on the Next button and follow the further instructions mentioned on the screen.
Once it is finished, your problem will be resolved for sure. Run the command and continue your work. Feel free to tell us about which method worked out for you.